Countdown

Currently I am counting down:
The last date is especially scary since it's very close. Since the end of lectures in late April it has felt like a lifetime until exam - until I woke up this morning and realize I didn't have all the time in the world anymore. This resulted in a 14 hour day in the study hall. Spending all day sitting still and eating 500 calories in cheese tortilla chips after dinner doesn't exactly bode well for point two - Nordmarka Forest Marathon.

Gotta love quantum mechanics!

Nordmara Forest Marathon will be my second marathon and Dad's first. My first marathon was the Oslo Marathon in September, 2010, which I ran in 3:53. I was probably in the best running shape of my life (so far) then, but I still met the infamous 'Wall' around kilometer 35. I would rather not do that again, and I think one of my main problems that I didn't eat enough while running, because I simply have no appetite until my blood sugar hits the floor. I'm definitely going to find a way to ingest more calories this time - probably gels or something.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I might have learned in my last go round, my Garmin FR60 can pretty much spells out one thing. You are in worse shape than last time. And 18 days is not enough time to make up lost training. So basically I'm just training to survive the marathon now - I don't think under 4 hours (my goal last time) is realistic, but maybe under 4:30.

On the bright side, my father and I had a lovely run yesterday. He has been training very hard for this marathon, and hopes to complete under 4 hours. Hopefully I can pace him for a couple of hours, as I have the advantage of being faster than him over short (think 10 km or so) distances.

In typical Trondheim fashion, it started out sunny, clouded over after 20 minutes, started to snow, then rained and then the sun came out at the end. Here's dad, and the faithful hound Sebastian on the trail above Jonsvatnet:

Our route was 17.5 km according to Dad's GPS, and looked like this:


View Jonsvatnet++ in a larger map

Some steep climbs in the forest, a long down hill to Jonsvatnet (the lake on the right side of the map), and some road running at the end for speed. I actually felt pretty good, at least until the end. Hopefully a couple more long runs will put me about were I should be. 

As Haruki Marukami said in his enjoyable What I talk about when I talk about running:

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I guess we'll see about that.

- Molly

Comments